Sunday 15 February 2015

SELMA





I just had to talk about this as IT IS VERY IMPORTANT. Especially right now at this very moment; with everything that going on in the world. 

Race being the hardest and suppressed issue in the society of today after all that happened in 2014 and still occurring. Throughout 2014, we lost a lot of people and justice wasn't served as it's "usually" promised. This is my OWN opinion. This is what I BELIEVE as it's what I saw and read. 

FUCK YOU JUSTICE SYSTEM for promising false things. Was it anything to do with colour or the fact that if the cases were brought to court; you'd realise that your "people" were in the wrong therefore they'd have to do their time and that would reflect badly on you... Know that it was difficult enough for those before us to risk their lives for us to be where we are today but where are we today, actually? What has changed since MLK and Malcolm X, if this stupid race issue still determines who gets a free pass whilst a whole community moans the loss of their sons, brother, father and friend?

The cinema has often failed to address the issue surrounding race but then how are future generations meant to know about the past, our survival of it and why it's wrong if we aren't taught. First, a month...just a month dedicated to my history is UTTER bull! Why can't it be every day for the rest of life? But it is...I'm always learning new things about my history and this is why I'm trying so hard to write about it so that we don't go back to the past.

We've been fucked over so many times. I have no problem with people saying 'nigger' but when it's said offensive towards me or anyone else; then yeah, I will have a problem. Nevertheless, it shouldn't be coming out of anyone's mouth as you know its history...

So SELMA looks like an AWESOME film. It's unfortunate that Eric Garner, Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and the rest of our brothers won't be here to watch one of history's and most importantly the Black community's greatest influence but they're with him now. 

After being turned down by all male directors, Selma was directed by Ava DuVernay and executive producer Oprah Winfrey. These two incredible women deliver a truthful and astounding film with David Oyelowo as Martin Luther King. 




Nominated for several awards including Best Picture, Best Actor for Oyelowo and DuVernay being the first black woman to be nominated for best director; this is a film that I can't watch. It's already made to my favourite film list by me just watching the trailer.




This was the PERFECT moment to this movie to be filmed and released... to remind us of what we fought for so that we don't lose sight of it.


No comments: